Buxton Hockey Club

Derbyshire based hockey club with mens, ladies and junior teams for players of all ability.

Stone Mens 3s vs Buxton Mens 3s

29 September 2018

Result: 1-3

Player of the match: Matt Golding

Buxton 3s traveled to Stone in the new look Midlands open league, following a solid pre-season confidence was high. With a good mixture of experience and youth Buxton were confident of a positive result.

Stone started well but Buxton held firm with Pat Cafferky marshalling the back four of Dom Irving, Mark Sessions and Matt Golding who were busy in the opening exchanges. Buxton finally settled and regained their composure to start playing the passing game that has been drilled into them at training. Buxton struck first with a lighting break, the ball was switched across the back from left to right, Matt Golding played a line ball which was expertly dummied by Dave Forshaw, Wayne Pearson ran on and played the ball into the D for Rees Gibbs to finish emphatically. The game was then end to end with both sides creating chances. Buxton were unfortunate to concede a penalty corner as there had been a Stone infringement which the umpire failed to see. With Kevin Heath’s word of wisdom the Buxton defence implemented the 2-2 penalty corner defence tactic, following a rapid injection Mark Sessions running one almost got to the strike but it was hit sweetly into the bottom corner nothing Keeper Steve Norton could do about it.

HT 1-1

A calming half time team talk by captain and coach Wayne with input from a few of the senior members Buxton started the 2nd half positively. With the energy of Pete Sprigs and the calmness of Stu Rowland Buxton passed the ball around with the enthusiastic Charlie Edwards making excellent runs and Frankie Heathcote’s confidence growing Buxton played some nice hockey, creating a number of chances but couldn’t find that finish. Stone then broke and forced a short corner. This time the defensive routine worked, however the ball unluckily ricocheted under Steve Norton and one of the Stone strikers hit a shot on target, Mark Sessions managed to get back to the goal line but the ball hit his foot and a penalty stroke was given. The stroke was converted to make it 2-1 to Stone. With 15 minutes to play Buxton piled forward looking for the equaliser Rees Gibbs, Frankie Heathcote and Charlie Edwards all created chances to score but Buxton could not convert. Buxton forced their only attacking penalty corner and a strike from the edge of the D narrowly missed the target. With Buxton pressing high Stone hit Buxton on the counter attack and with the more mature guys tiring the young Stone midfield made Buxton pay for not converting their chances and scored 3 late goals to give a gloss on the score line but not a reflection of the game.

In terms of score not ideal but there were plenty of positives, more hard work in training and it will come good!!

DOD: Mark Sessions